Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Mesh convergence in indentation model

• drevsh
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have a model with an indenter (Steel) and a round body (hyperelastic material) and with an indentation dept of 4 mm I get very distorted elements. How is it possible to do a convergence study for these cases? I have tried the mesh convergence tool, but the rounded body does not change (only the indenter). Additionally, using a finer mesh tend to a converge results, but some element sizes are not solvable. 

Some Hertz solution models use a very fine mesh, but the indentation depth is usually a micro indentation and does not possess a high element distortion.

As for the boundary conditions, firstly, I have a symmetric boundary condition. I have used a displacement on the surfaces of the indenter, and a fixed support on the low part of the platform. There is a frictionless contact between the indenter and the soft body, and a bonded contact between the platform and soft body.

I appreciate any comments, best regards

• bhagwantP
      Ansys Employee

Hello drevsh,

will you please check use of nonlinear adaptive mesh (NLAD) for hyperelastic material and see if it's overcoming convergence trouble.

Reference material:

How to Handle Element Distortion Errors in Hyperelastic Materials — Lesson 3 - ANSYS Innovation Courses

Optimal use of Nonlinear Adaptive Region (ansys.com)

Ansys Non-Linear Adaptive Meshing (NLAD) | Ansys Mechanical (simutechgroup.com)

Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.