General Mechanical

General Mechanical

mesh interface

• m.caragiuli
      Subscriber

Hi, 

I in my simulation model there is a pipe in a body and I meshed the solid body using tetrahedrons and the pipe using automatic method that resulted in hexahedrons as in the picturemesh interface

thus I changed the mesh of pipe to tetrahedrons to improve the contact  at the interface of the two bodies and I used also a contact sizing and mesh connectios obtaining this result

mesh tetra+tetra

that is much better but in the right region of interface between the bodies the nodes of one body does not can in contact with the nodes of the pipe..is  there a way to improve it? Should I use node merge?

Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You should use shared topology instead of contact.

• m.caragiuli
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

just a doubt...is the shared topology a substitute of a bonded contact? I mean, if the contact between the inner pipe and the hole within the solid body was a no separation or a frictional in order to allow the relative translation, I couldn't have used shared topology , right? In that case should I use a manual contact sizing  and a proper growth rate?

Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Right, shared topology is to avoid using Bonded Contact.  It can't be used if you need the sliding motion, or if you want to create a Cohesive Zone Model (CZM) with the Bonded Contact where you are studying the failure of the bond.

• m.caragiuli
      Subscriber

well!! Sorry, what can be the reason of shared topology failure? I mean I form a new part between two bodies, but once I set the mesh the nodes are not coincident..why does it happen?

Another question about share topology is if there is a way to modify the growth rate of mesh elements since at the interface between two bodies belonging to a part the elements of the two bodies have the same size of the body with smaller element size and this is good, but if I want to reduce the elements count I need to set a proper growth rate in order to have elements of smaller size at the interface and greater size by going far from the interface, should I define it from the mesh settings? If I use adaptive mesh the growth rate is not available.  

Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.