Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Mesh Interfaces generated in Conformal Mesh by Ansys Fluent

• nicko627
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have meshed a 3D model with a mixture of hex and tet elements in the workbench meshing program. The geometry was set up such that the hex areas are comprised of a series of connected boxes with shared topology. The hex areas are also connected to the tet areas with shared topology.

When I import this mesh into Fluent, it still recognizes these internal surfaces in the mesh and creates a series of internal mesh interfaces. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but my model has a couple thousand of these interfaces, so loading the model takes a pretty long time.

Is there any way to set up the mesh so that Fluent does not detect these internal surfaces? It would just clean up my model a lot, especially since I don't think these interfaces are necessary.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      In meshing select all bodies and create one named selection as Fluid. Then check importing in Fluent.
      Regards Keyur
      How to access Ansys Online Help Document
      Guidelines on the Student Community

• nicko627
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the answer, Keyur. I tried grouping the bodies together in that way, but the mesh interfaces still get generated in Fluent. It seems like the surface mesh (2D elements) might still be present in the model, so could this be causing this issue? Even with the conformal mesh from shared topology, I get these interfaces.
      This is just a snippet from the output from fluent that makes me say the surface mesh is present:
      30466976 mixed interior faces,zone id: 1
      15 triangular wall faces,zone id: 5
      736 mixed velocity-inlet faces,zone id: 6
      746 mixed outflow faces,zone id: 7
      151415 mixed wall faces,zone id: 8
      39380 triangular wall faces,zone id: 9
      325012 triangular wall faces,zone id: 10
      109808 quadrilateral wall faces,zone id: 11
      275766 mixed wall faces,zone id: 12
      65580 mixed wall faces,zone id: 13
      25739 triangular wall faces,zone id: 14
      4199 triangular wall faces,zone id: 15
      480 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 16
      480 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 17
      480 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 18
      475 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 19
      480 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 20
      480 quadrilateral interface faces,zone id: 21

and it continues...
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Then check share topology. Make sure that share topology is successful.
      Regards Keyur
      How to access Ansys Online Help Document
      Guidelines on the Student Community

• nicko627
      Subscriber
      Keyur I just tried what you said and looked into these mesh interfaces again. It looks like the mesh interfaces are being generated by fluent because there are surfaces from adjacent bodies that are very close to one another, but not touching (I would say they are 1 or 2 millimeters apart). Is there any way to prevent fluent from seeing these adjacent surfaces as mesh interfaces? These surfaces are all defined as walls before I import them to fluent, but fluent removes them from these named selections and places them in these mesh interfaces (or maybe share topology is trying to share across these faces?).
      Would you have any idea how to prevent fluent/meshing from doing this? I've attached images to help explain
      This image is of the walls in an array of channels that fluent is defining as a mesh interface.
      And the above picture is just of two channel walls that are very close to one another.
      Thanks!

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Suppress all connections in Meshing.
    • nicko627
      Subscriber
      That fixed the issue, thanks Keyur!
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.