Electronics

Electronics

Mesh refinement and convergence evaluation: can I plot tet size?

• apr37
      Subscriber
      Hello Ansys,nI am running an Eigenmode simulation in HFSS, and the system I am simulating has a small region of high charge concentration which requires especially fine meshing for accurate simulation. I would like to plot the convergence of some particular field quantities so that I can evaluate how well the simulation has converged.nWhat I have done so far:nI have assigned all of my field quantities of interest (which I wrote in the fields calculator) to the expression cache so that I can plot them as a function of adaptive pass and see how much they change with each adaptive pass of the simulation. I can also plot them against number of solved elements to get a more direct view of how the mesh refinement affects the convergence of those quantities.nWhat I would like to do:nI would like to be able to plot those field quantities against the size of the smallest tet/element, or perhaps some other statistical detail of the tet/element size distribution. I think this would give me a better idea of how the mesh refinement is progressing in the region of high charge concentration, where fine meshing is really necessary for convergence of the simulation's solution.nMy inspiration for wanting to perform this type of analysis comes from the following discussions about solution convergence in finite element analysis of structures and points of high stress concentration by the method of taking the limit to infinitesimal element size:nnOne example:nhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/538/how-much-mesh-refinement-should-i-donnAnd another thread: nhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/16026/mesh-refinement-study-problemn...Which leads to this example:nhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/538/how-much-mesh-refinement-should-i-donnIs it possible in HFSS to make a fields report or eigenmode report which contains information about element size, rather than number of elements? Or is there any other way you would suggest I carry out similar analysis?nThank you,nAlexn
    • Praneeth
      Ansys Employee
      Hi,nThank you for reaching to us.nYou can get the element size information from the Mesh Statistics' tab which can be accessed by right mouse click on solution setup. nYou can export this data and use it for your analysis.nAll the best.nBest regards,n
    • apr37
      Subscriber
      Hi pmunaga,nThis looks like a good start. I am looking at the Mesh Statistics tab in Solutions window which I opened by right-clicking on the solution setup and selecting Mesh statistics, and one of the numbers I see here is Min tet vol.nHowever, it looks like the Mesh Statistics tab only shows me the mesh statistics for the last pass, so I can't properly evaluate the convergence process.nIs there a way to view the mesh statistics for each pass? Similar to how you can view solved elements and Max Delta Freq % vs. pass number in the Convegence tab?nThanks,nAlexn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.