General Mechanical

General Mechanical

• RoyalFlowers
      Subscriber

Hello every one,

I realized that if because of some changes in model we regenerate mesh with the constant element size the total node and element numbers are different although the geometry is not changed. Now I would like to now whether it is normal or not. And why did it happen.

I would be grateful for your illuminating answers in advance.

Best regards, Shabnam Samsami

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Depending on the settings/changes, the mesher might start at different locations of the geometry which might result in slightly different end counts.

• RoyalFlowers
      Subscriber

Dear Medikonda,

Thanks a million for your answer. Is it mean that we need to repeat mesh independence test, If the geometry remains the same? 

Sincerely, Shabnam

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

What version are you using?

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have this problem for most geometries. What are the changes you are referring to? It's hard to debug such questions without the model and this being an open forum, I cannot take and review your model.

If the results aren't changing I wouldn't worry about it much.

• RoyalFlowers
      Subscriber

Dear Medikonda,

Thanks a million for your reply. Actually I saw this issue several times whenever there was no change in geometry but I changed something in contact or initial position of parts were changed with translation tool in geometry; and because of that the Mechanical part should be updated. Then I cleared generated mesh and regenerate that for updating contact tool, because sometimes without clearing generated data for meshes and re-meshing I faced some errors for updating contact tool. Hence, I was concerned why the mesh and node numbers should be different when element size remain the same for all parts. But as you said, as long as the results don not change there should not be any concerns in this regard.

Best regards, Shabnam Samsami 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.