Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Meshing of a solid that was converted from a STL file

• Stephan3745
      Subscriber
      Hello people,nMy plan is to build a gyroid scaffold structure and do some FEM analysis on it.nHere a short reference what a gyroid is:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GyroidnI tried to model such a structure in Inventor but could not achieve it (if some people know how to do it please let me know). Thats why I built one via SageMath and could saved it as a STL. Next I imported the STL in SpaceClaim and thickend the surface. After that I finally converted it into a solid. Now, the triangular facets on the body don't disappear but at least I have a solid body. So I thought I have a model of a gyroid scaffold that i can use in simulation in ANSYS. However, the meshing of the gyroid scaffod failed. n...nThere is an option in SpaceClaim to check the facet for errors. Before thickening the facet, it showed me one error:facet is not watertight. After thickening the error disappeard, but there emerged other errors like something with intersections and about body having common node (sorry, I dont use english version, so I just translated it). After fixing the errors the only one left is the body having common node one (which is strangely not really seen as an error though). nI dont really know what is going on here, so please I need help!nI can attach files (STL) if it helps!nnKind regardsnn
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nSTL is the worst format to move surface geometry from one system to another.nSTEP or Parasolid is the best, IGES is okay.nIf you are stuck with STL, SpaceClaim has a Skin tool to convert a large area of facets into smooth curves and surfaces.nAnother idea is to write the equations in the script language of SpaceClaim.n
    • Stephan3745
      Subscriber
      nOk thank you, I will try the skin tool and look into script language of SpaceClaim.n
    • Stephan3745
      Subscriber
      Somehow I cannot edit my post, so Im going to make a new post:nSo I tried skin tool:automatic. It worked on my gyroid that is not thickend yet, but didnt work on a gyroid which is thickend. Unfortunately the gyroid that I used automatic skin function cannot be thickend. nI dont know how to work with script language in SpaceClaim, specifically for creating a gyroid. There are some functions which can create structures based on equations but I think only parametric equations are possible. nHelp would be very much appreciated. n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      ArraynIf you get an automatic skin, you can do a lot with it because it is now solid geometry. I'm sure it can be thickened you just need to use the right set of tools in SpaceClaim.nWhy do you even want to thicken it? Why don't you just use Shell elements and type the thickness as a property of the surface?n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.