Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Meshing of a Wind Turbine Blade

• rodriguez
      Subscriber

Dear all,

I have to mesh a Wind Turbine Blade for making a CFD simulation. I see there are different options. I need a Y+ of 1, and I get troubles with quality when using fluent mesher. The best option I found is making a structured mesh with ICEM.

What I am wondering is whether there is a way to do it in a more automated fashion using Turbogrid. Does anybody know some kind of tutorial of how to do it? Do I need to create a "virtual" shroud, so to say?

Thank you very much in advance

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I'd look to see why you're having problems with Fluent Meshing. That should be easier, so any problems there may well show up with ICEM CFD. 

• rodriguez
      Subscriber

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Having such small first cell size is what gives me problems. Besides, making a blocking always gives more control and better quality.

The problem is that making a blocking, even adapting one to a new geometry, is time intensive. Therefore I wanted to use Turbogrid.

The differences between a turbomachine and the wind turbine are big, but apparently there is the template in Turbogrid for wind turbines.

Hence I was asking for help in the matter, with a tutorial that I could download or something.

Kind regards,

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I'd argue that blocking will cause more problems if done badly, but that's just an observation. Checking on TurboGrid, but need to wait for my colleague to pick up: that might not be today. 

Poor cell quality for high aspect cells in Fluent Meshing tends to mean you're not resolving the curvature suffiently. The cause is the centre of the poly face clipping the face on the opposite side of the poly-prism. Don't forget to resolve the wake region too: y+ is a guide for the first cell, you then need to resolve the rest of the flow boundary layer, any separation points and wake. 

• rodriguez
      Subscriber

Thanks for the reply, and for forwarding it to your colleague. The answer is not needed directly today.

If I resolve the curvature to the point at which the quality shows no issues, the mesh size explodes. The problem is not to get a nice mesh, but to make an efficient one.

I have already a good Blocking mesh. The aim of my tests is to automatize it for different geometries.

Regards

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You may need to install 2022R2. I can't see a tutorial on the Help system, but if you check in the Turbotools there may be something you can adapt. 

• rodriguez
      Subscriber

I am not sure about what you mean with "Turbotools". Isn't that basically the bundle that includes the different ANSYS tools that aim to Turbomachinery in general?

Can you please elaborate what you mean?

Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/prod_page.html?pn=TurboSystem&pid=TurboSystem&lang=en  You need to open Help from the software then go to the link. 

OK, having heard back, you need the new hybrid options. We think it should work, but my colleague hasn't tried it yet. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.