Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Meshing of building

• abdulrahman86
      Subscriber
      Hello For such geometry attached, what is the best way to ensure structured mesh and inflation layers around the building? 
      Using multizone method I tried to create planes at the faces of the building and used the slicing option to create more than one object then edge size other objects toward the building, is that correct?

I also tried creating a domain around the building to increase the size of the cross that will be generated from slicing but two identical bodies over the building were generated which resulted in wrong results

Thank you

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have the right idea.  Use 5 planes on the 5 faces of the building to do the first round of slicing.  That could be adequate, but you could refine it more by offsetting those 5 planes away from the build, say about 2 x building width, and slice all the solids again.

Whether you go with one or two sets of planes, each body can have either an inflation layer mesh control or biased edge sizing to get the same effect.

• abdulrahman86
      Subscriber
      Thank you for the great explanation

when I tried that there are two options that I am not sure about it, it will be great if you can explain it

1- Let's consider I used a domain around the building 2 x width away and one set of planes, when should I use the boolean command (before or after slicing) and between which objects?

2- when creating the inflation layer for the ground surface which bodies to select, all bodies in the model or just the lower half? or it doesn't make any difference?

Thanks
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

0. I thought the solid body you show above is the air with the building already subtracted. That is the starting point.

1. You can't do one set of planes 2 x width away because that creates solids that are not six sided bodies that are required for a structured mesh.

2. With one set of planes on the building face, select the 8 bodies that touch the ground for ground inflation. There are nine bodies above the top of the building.

• abdulrahman86
      Subscriber
      Great thank you
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.