April 15, 2021 at 10:02 pmtalimuSubscriber
Hi Lumerical Support team,
In your FEEM Solver Course, you refer to one example file called: soi_wg.idev.
In this example, there 3 kinds of meshing on the Silicon waveguide:
1) Mesh inside material definition of waveguide structure:April 16, 2021 at 6:46 pmTaylor RobertsonAnsys EmployeeHello Tali,nTo better understand the mesh order, and mesh settings I would recommend the following pagesnIn short:n1) Mesh priority: determines what material/interfaces are used in the meshing process. This determines how the simulation is partitioned, but not actual the settings of the mesh.n2) These are global properties of the mesh, during the FEM meshing process the grid will be refined everywhere until it meets these criteria.n3) The mesh constraint allows you to change the local mesh properties. These can be used to further refine the grid in specified regions, such as near metallic interfaces where the fields will be tightly bound. If the mesh constraints are larger then the global properties 2) then those will used instead.nnI hope this helps.nI would study the first link, and play around with partition and mesh command to see how these features work. You can do this by inspecting the grid.nBest,nApril 17, 2021 at 10:06 amtalimuSubscriberHitroberts,nThank you for your reply. It was really helpful.nRegarding reply 3) above:nHow should I refer to the global mesh constraint here in the current example? If edges per wavelength is 2 and my wavelength is 1.55 micron, so is it quantitatively higher or lower than added mesh constraint saying max edge length is 0.01micron? nThanks, nTali M.April 20, 2021 at 4:34 pmTaylor RobertsonAnsys EmployeeThe wavelength is the wavelength in the material. This is the free space wavelength divided by n. nlambda = lambda_0/nnUnless n is greater than 155 , max edge length should set mesh sizennApril 20, 2021 at 7:52 pmtalimuSubscriberGreat, Thanks trobertsnViewing 4 reply threads
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Lumerical support has moved to the Ansys Learning Forum (ALF)
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- focusing efficiency
Top Rated Tags