Photonics

Photonics

Meshing Priority

• talimu
      Subscriber

Hi Lumerical Support team,

In your FEEM Solver Course, you refer to one example file called: soi_wg.idev.

In this example, there 3 kinds of meshing on the Silicon waveguide:

1) Mesh inside material definition of waveguide structure:

• Taylor Robertson
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Tali,nTo better understand the mesh order, and mesh settings I would recommend the following pagesnIn short:n1) Mesh priority: determines what material/interfaces are used in the meshing process. This determines how the simulation is partitioned, but not actual the settings of the mesh.n2) These are global properties of the mesh, during the FEM meshing process the grid will be refined everywhere until it meets these criteria.n3) The mesh constraint allows you to change the local mesh properties. These can be used to further refine the grid in specified regions, such as near metallic interfaces where the fields will be tightly bound. If the mesh constraints are larger then the global properties 2) then those will used instead.nnI hope this helps.nI would study the first link, and play around with partition and mesh command to see how these features work. You can do this by inspecting the grid.nBest,n
    • talimu
      Subscriber
      Hitroberts,nThank you for your reply. It was really helpful.nRegarding reply 3) above:nHow should I refer to the global mesh constraint here in the current example? If edges per wavelength is 2 and my wavelength is 1.55 micron, so is it quantitatively higher or lower than added mesh constraint saying max edge length is 0.01micron? nThanks, nTali M.
    • Taylor Robertson
      Ansys Employee
      The wavelength is the wavelength in the material. This is the free space wavelength divided by n. nlambda = lambda_0/nnUnless n is greater than 155 , max edge length should set mesh sizenn
    • talimu
      Subscriber
      Great, Thanks trobertsn
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.