Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Meshing two inflation layers together failing

• harvjc00
      Subscriber

Hi there,

I am trying to mesh two NACA 0012 aerofoils consecutively. I am trying to create a inflation layer mesh on each to capture the boundary layer 

However, the height that I would like to create the total inflation is greater than the gap between the two aerofoils. This causes inflation layers to attempt to connect and then fail

The gap between the foils is 0.075m, I require the total height the inflation layer to be 0.064m. Meaning a total of 0.128m worth of inflation layers is trying to mesh in the gap between the aerofoils

I am aiming to have both aerofoils with a inflation layer to the height of 0.064m. If it the inflation layer could extend updowns and downwards from the gap also? Im not sure how to do this

1st image is the maximum layers I can do on the inflation (58 layers at a growth rate of 1.1) 

2nd image is when I increase the number of inflation layers and it fails

Thanks

Jackson

• harvjc00
      Subscriber

Also, I think I could justify having the lower total height and layers of the inflation... if there was a way to increase the density of the mesh in the gap. As in, reducing the size of the cells in the area of the gap

Thanks

Jackson

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Jackson,

I suggest you create a horizontal plane through the centerline of the pair of airfoils and split the face. Now you will have an edge between the airfoils and you can include that edge in the inflation boundary.  You can also use a Mesh Sizing control to set the number of elements across the gap.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.