December 7, 2018 at 9:19 pmsameerfaresSubscriber
December 8, 2018 at 4:47 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
Screw: a head and a shank the length of the screw. Don't model the screw threads, don't model the pointed tip, just a flat end instead of a pointed end to make it easier to mesh. Split the face of the shank at the depth of the pre-drilled hole in the wood.
Wood: a 5/16" hole the length of the predrilled hole and a 1/4" hole at the bottom of that hole that is equal to the depth of thread engagement. In other words, subtract the screw from the wood to make a hole. There will be a small flat between the pre-drilled 5/16" hole and the 1/4" screw hole in the wood. That is okay.
Steel: you already have that hole.
- Bonded contact between the bottom half of the screw and the screw hole in the wood.
- Frictional contact between the top half of the screw and the pre-drilled hole in the wood.
- Frictional contact between the top half of the screw and the hole in the steel.
Note: the above two can be in a single contact definition, make the screw the Target and the two holes the Contact side.
- Frictional contact between the underside of the screw head and the steel flange face.
- Frictional contact between steel flange faces and the wood face.
December 8, 2018 at 6:23 pmsameerfaresSubscriber
i already removed the threads. I just need to remove the tip.
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer Peter!
December 8, 2018 at 7:59 pmsameerfaresSubscriber
1. Is there a way in spaceclaim to select all the screws in the model by clicking on one screw and then all other solids of the same shape? There are many screws in the model and i don't want to select all screws individually?
2. Is there a simple way to remove the screw tip on one screw and apply this operation to all other screws?
3. i created a hole in the wood at each screw. The hole shape in the wood matches up the screw shape. So if i remove the screw tip, do i need to use the "combine" tool again. i am trying to save time because it took me a lot of time to do it.
December 9, 2018 at 12:05 ampeteroznewmanSubscriber
1. If you used Assemblies and Components, then there is only one screw used many times. If you change that one screw, they will all update.
2. See #1.
3. Removing the screw tip is only a minor improvement to the mesh and not worth a great deal of effort. Leave the tip in place for now.
What is important is to split the face of the screw to separate the part of the screw that is bonded to the wood in the 1/4" hole and the part of the screw that has frictional contact in the 5/16" hole.
December 9, 2018 at 2:51 amsameerfaresSubscriber
Thank you Peter!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Errors – Reinforced Concrete Beam
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
- Cannot apply load on node
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Colors and Mesh Display