Electronics

Electronics

Method of Image Charge Simulation

• Austin
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am attempting to simulate a charged particle over a conducting copper plate in Maxwell3D 19. Assuming the method of image charges, I would expect the plate to contain the equal but opposite charge of the particle. Before, I had trouble with the simulation converging, but I found that an odd symmetry border on both the plate itself seems to replicate this fairly well; however, I am concerned that this is not the best way to simulate my problem.

For instance, if I move the particle to not be over the plate, I still receive a very large charge on the plate while it should be approximately 0 as the no charge is induced onto the plate. Adding another symmetry border to the bottom side of the background region seems to fix that issue, but I am not sure if that is the best route to take.

The attached screenshot shows the simulation of a particle over the center of the plate. With a charge of -1uC, the Maxwell calculator gives a charge 1.00E6.

Could anyone shed some light on the best way to simulate image theory? Also, could you give a better explanation of how borders function in Maxwell3D? The documentation wasn't totally clear to me.

Regards,

Austin

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

I've moved your question to the electromagnetism thread for better visibility on the community. I hope this helps.

Best,

Karthik

• ilies_alin
      Subscriber

I barely know Ansys Maxwell, but I think in electrostatic you could assign the charge particle. 

You assign it to a small circle (I think)

Another advice could be to use 2 partticles, the particle in upper position should be positive, and the one at the bottom negative.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.