March 4, 2022 at 6:12 pmsagarSubscriber
Does the optimum diameter of the dielectric waveguide for physical mode formation depend upon FDE simulation area for a particular wavelength of light? I notice for FDE area 1.5 um x 1.5 um, physical modes are started forming when the diameter of the waveguide is 148 nm, and below that no modes are supported. And I changed the area 1.2 um x 1.2 um, the physical modes are started forming at 156 nm and if I increase the area of FDE, modes are started forming more lower diameter. I think it should not depend upon the area of the FDE simulation region. Please explain the reason behind it. Thank you.March 4, 2022 at 10:49 pmGuilin SunAnsys EmployeeDepending on the understanding of "modes", the result may be different under different boundary conditions. Using Metal BCs will always give you modes since it is metal box filling with some materials.
If PML BCs are used, the FDE solver will calculate all the possible modes including PML materials. While the solver tries to report the propagation modes under PML BCs, if the results are all PML modes then the solver will not report any mode. If this the case, please use large number of trial modes. I would suggest that you use Metal BCs and check if the mode is the propagation mode, or simply the metal box mode. You may need a little more knowledge about the waveguide its self. Please check the mode properties and make sure they are what you need. You may also read more about the FDE solver and its result.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
Top Rated Tags
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.