General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Missing alternating stress mean stress under engineering data

• nrj0025
      Subscriber

I have recently downloaded Ansys and was trying to do some static structural analysis on Nitinol SMA. I couldn't find nitinol as a material in the database so I have been trying to follow a tutorial that I had found for implementing nitinol data to create it. But the tutorial requires adding alternating stress mean stress data but I seem to not have that as an option under the life tab when creating new material. So I was wondering if there is an option to add it or if it is an option that is lacking in the student version of Ansys.

Thanks

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Moving this question to the Structural Mechanics page in the hope that your question finds some visibility.

Thank you.

Best,
      Karthik

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi nrj0025,

Here is the SMA material reference:https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/ans_mat/smas.html?q=SMA

Can you please explain what alternating stress and mean stress is and why they are needed to define SMA? I don't recall an SMA material model need such information. Here are the inputs needed for Shape memory effect. If you are to model the superelasticity, then you need a different set of inputs. 

Regards,

Wenlong

Useful Links

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.