Fluids

Fluids

Mixing of Dye in water

• platinium2501
      Subscriber

Hello everyone, 

I just started FLUENT and I am currently having trouble simulating the mixing of dye-water (properties same water but 0.1% density difference) and water in a rotating cylinder. I am using the VOF model where it does not actually show the mixing between two liquids and it just shows clear interfaces between the liquids. The simulation from the picture is what I wished to achieve.  I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you in advance. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am also a FLUENT learner so I am interested to see other opinions on this topic.
      It seems to me that mixing dye and water is more like a Species Transport model than a VOF model. 
      Take a look at my CO2 plume mixing with air.

• platinium2501
      Subscriber

Good day sir, 

Thanks for the reply. I will try changing my model to species transport. Do you mind if I show you my results after my simulations so I can have a better grasp of Fluent. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You require a multicomponent model to account for diffusion if the ingredient are not immiscible. VOF and all Eulerian Multiphase models are for fluids which are not mixed at a molecular level and depict a discernable interphase inbetween.
    • platinium2501
      Subscriber

Good day Amine, 

Thanks for the reply but can you elaborate more on the multicomponent model for this case? I cannot find any example for my case. Im still having trouble with understanding Fluent. 

Any guidance would help. Thank you in advance. 

Regards, 

Chin 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Species model in Fluent is multicompononent approach.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.