Fluids

Fluids

Mixing plane model formulations

• Mike25
      Subscriber

Dear,

For the modeling of a transonic axial compressor, I'm using the turbo features within Fluent.

I recently found out that there are two different formulations for the mixing plane programmed within Fluent, be it the interpolator and the side-based approach. I tried to look up the differences in both the Theory and User guide but did not find a satisfying answer about the differences between both.

Moreover, the density-based solver does not seem to work appropriately (solution diverges after a couple of dozen iterations) with the interpolator approach, while the side-based formulation converges normally. However, both mixing plane formulations do converge for the pressure-based solver.

Could you please elaborate on this, especially on what the exact difference is between both formulations, or refer to some kind of scientific publication where both formulations are discussed (I already searched some publications, but did not find a decent answer. This might be because the naming of the formulations tends to be different within the literature).

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,

Mike 

• RK
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Mike,
      All the information that we could provide on a public platform is available in the Theory and User's guide. Please let us know if you encounter any specific issues relating to physics setup, convergence, etc and we can help you.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.