Fluids

Fluids

Mixing the Slurry using particle injection

• Bibek Poudel
      Subscriber

Hi, 

I wanted to mix the two particles using injection and rotating them in a cylindrical vessel and track the particle flow. So, I am injecting the particles and rotating the frame. I am using the transient model. But while doing so, after some time, the particles seem to behave like they have been attached to the wall and doesn't mix. I have used the walls as an reflecting wall (not an trap or escape in DPM). So why are the particles sticking to the wall? Please someone help me how to mix these particles inside the cylindrical vessel. I have attached the picture of the particle track in here too.

Thank you in advance! 

Bibek 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Do you mean the particles are not pushed away from the wall? Are they of small inertia (small relaxation time)?

• Bibek Poudel
      Subscriber

Yes, they seem to stick to the wall and not get reflected. I have used DPM condition for wall as "reflect" but they don't seem to reflect; rather it seems to stick to the wall. And yes, they are of very small diameter ( I mean they are just 162 microns, but my domain cylinder is also just 19mm diameter and 2 mm height). So, it might have small inertia. But I have been rotating with high speed like 50 rad/s. So, I don't know what's happening in here. Could you please help me with some explanation on what could've been happening in here? 

Thanks,
      Bibek

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

I will update here asap. I think I know the issue. Is it release 19.x?

• Bibek Poudel
      Subscriber

Yes, it is release 19.x

Thank you so much. Looking forward to hear from you. 

Best, 
      Bibek 

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

What is the actual physical size of the particles? If you're trying to simulate macroscopic particles it is not advised to used DPM method.

Regards

• Bibek Poudel
      Subscriber

Hi Raef, 

Thank you for your reply. The particle sizes are 162 microns and 10 microns for 2 kind of particles. Is this size not applicable for the DPM Model?? 

Thanks,
      Bibek 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

The size of your particles is fine for DPM theory (point masses)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.