Photonics

Photonics

Mobility Difference in Planar Solar Cells

• spacelover17
      Subscriber

I am trying to get two different planar cells to converge (the Lumerical Planar Silicon Solar Cell example and the version of the Pyramid Solar Cell with the pyramids deactivated). I made modifications (like changing the material to InP) for my purposes, and made a lot of setup changes to get the simulations to match. My optical generation profiles are quite similar from FDTD (predicted JSC of 29.1 vs. 28.9), but my electrical simulations are yielding different results.

I tried to look at different things in the CHARGE simulation such as the bandstructure and charge monitors. I refined the meshing and whatnot, and tried deactivating the n++ and p++ regions and only leaving the p+ constant region activated to see where the biggest discrepancies arose.

This is all some background to provide context for what I have done. But I opened up the "mobility" monitor and in the cell region, despite both of the cells using the same material (InP), they are showing different mobilities (and diffusion lengths). It seems that they are constant throughout the device in both of them, but the values themselves are different, and they do not match the values that I set for the material properties. So I am struggling to understand this deviation and what the mobility monitor tells us exactly. I have attached screenshots to illustrate what I mean.

• Khashayar Ghaffari
      Ansys Employee
      Hi In addition to the material properties, the reported mobility is dependent on other attributes such as parameters used in the impurity model (here you seem to be using Caughey-Thomas) and the doping values applied to the simulation. The results suggest that despite your efforts the two simulations are not set up alike. I suggest revisiting your settings such as the applied doping and parameters used for the impurity model.
      Best
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.