General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Modal analysis of rubber. During animation rubber goes into other objects.

• ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

Hello Everyone. 

I am performing modal analysis of a rubber which is limited on the sides by steel strips and has frictionless contacts between them. 

Also, the rubber is loaded 20 kg above and has displacement with limit vertical movement.

When I play animation I see that the rubber goes into 2 of 4 steel strips (the last pic below). Other 2 strips it gets around well. 

Mesh is pretty fine I guess. 

Could you please tell me what I do wrong?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Insert a Contact Tool under the Connections folder and check if that contact is closed.

• ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

Contact tool below

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Try the following on the contacts that failed.

1. Flip the Target-Contact sides on the contacts that are failing.
      2. Increase the Pinball Radius on the contacts that are failing.
      3. Change the Behavior to MPC which allows you to visualize the contact elements after the solution when you click on the Solution Information and click on the Graphics tab (after the screen flips to the Worksheet tab).
      4. If all that fails, open the geometry in SpaceClaim and use the Share button on the Workbench tab to create Shared Topology, then delete all the Contacts.
    • ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

Ok. Thank you. I will try it. 

• ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

Hello Peter.

Could MPC be used only with bonded contact? When I set up MPC with frictionless it lights yellow and contact has question mark. 

• ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

I'd set up shared topology in space claim. Does it work like bonded contact? I need sliding between rubber and strips, because it changes natural frequency.

Visualization of contact elements:

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I missed that you wanted frictionless contact between the rubber and steel.  Shared Topology is like Bonded contact. MPC is only for Bonded Contact.

Frictionless contact is converted to No Separation in Modal if the contact is closed. Make sure the Pinball radius is large enough so that all the nodes are closed.

• ILYA Giri
      Subscriber

Hello Peter.

I'v set up pinboll radius equal 10 mm and got the following results in contacts. 

Should I get all contact sides have closed status?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

That looks good. Ansys automatically chooses which way to set the Target/Contact side and makes the opposite Inactive.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.