March 2, 2022 at 9:01 pmsagarSubscriber
I am trying to get the transmission data only for the fundamental mode. So I selected Mode expanding monitor and chose the fundamental mode by mode selection option and selected other frequency monitors (placed top of the waveguide) to get data corresponding to the fundamental mode only. As suggested here (https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034902433-Using-Mode-Expansion-Monitors) Ttotal is the total power radiated by dipole and Tforward is the power transmission into the selected modal field. For a particular diameter value of the dielectric waveguide, only the fundamental mode will propagate. So I was expecting Ttotal and Tforward to be the same. But I am getting different values. How is it possible where only the fundamental mode is propagating and there are no other modes?
Could you please explain the reason?March 4, 2022 at 6:27 pmGuilin SunAnsys EmployeeI guess this is a theoretical issue: dipole can excite almost all the modes in a waveguide, and in the near fields, before they form stable patterns (the waveguide modes), there are other intermediate "modes" so I believe you need to extract them from the Ttotal. However probably you cannot if you do not use mode expansion. I would suggest that you think it over before you do the simulation.
If you have lab experience in fiber mode launch, it might be easier for you to understand this issue.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
Top Rated Tags
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.