Photonics

Photonics

Mode source/Plane wave source and PML or Metal boundaries.

• talimu
      Subscriber
      Hi Lumrical Team,
      1) In one of your examples, you refer to TFSF source, and show their allowed geometries with PML or Metal boundaries.
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Sources can only work with proper boundary conditions in order to fulfill physics. Mode source has limited size so it uses PML or sometimes PEC; Plane wave is infinite so periodic-type BC or symmetry-type ( PEC/PMC in some cases) BC in both sides is used. Please refer :Ansys Insight: FDTD Solutions 的光源类型及其典型应用:初学者 Please note that for mode (and Gaussian) source, its geometry size can be as large as the simulation spans. This is because the mode property controls the physical size.
    • talimu
      Subscriber
      Hi gsun
      1) Let's say I have PML BC both in X and Y, so mode source size can exceed simulation size? can it be smaller than simulation size? 2) Do you have this link Ansys Insight: FDTD Solutions 的光源类型及其典型应用:初学者 in English? Thanks, talimu
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

A1: I would recommend to set the mode source larger than simulation size. it has no harm doing so. However, if it is smaller, depending on the size, mode could be truncated. I believe the simulation size is proper when you set.

A2: Sorry, it has no English version. It could be helpful if you can use goolge translate. Basically, in principle, plane wave source should have periodic-type BCs such as "periodic" and "bloch"; other sources with limited size in physics can use PML.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.