Fluids

Fluids

Model validation

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

Hello, my aim for my project is to plot drag and lift coefficient with Reynolds number on graph and the model is sphere. Will I able to do a 2d model or should i go for 3d model. But before I do plots, I need to validate. So for that I planning to validate a naca airfoil (and then go for sphere) with already made values on websites, is that wil be useful or you have any idea for this project. Also I request you to kindly provide any few topics related to work on cfd with 2d model or simple 3d model. Will you guide me throughout please. Thank you

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello Ananth,

I have moved your question to the CFD thread so it gets the required traction it deserves. Because I personally think this is an excellent question.

It might not always be possible to validate your results, especially if you are looking at a huge validation effort. Here are some ways I like to explore with respect to validation

• If you can find something in literature which resembles similar to what your model is, it might be useful to reproduce those results. In the study from literature has some experimental data and you are able to reproduce their results, this might be one way of verifying your model.

• Please be wary that it might not always be possible to find such a study.

• Also, it is important to note that there might be differences between your original study and that from literature which might cause some changes in the physics. All you can conclude from this comparitive analysis is that part of your model is verifiable.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Karthik 

• José Mantovani
      Subscriber

If you want to simulate the 3D aerodynamic profile like a infinit wing that  can be maked with a 2D approach and you get good results in a easy way and less time. But if you want simulate a 3D aerodynamic profile like a finite wing you need get some paper with experimental database  with informations about geometry, boundary conditions and etc. to replicate in your simulation. In the link below have some database around some aerodynamic profiles with informations needed to validate your simulation. I recommend you, if you just have a PC simple, realize it in a  2D approach, because 3D approach need a very large domain which is very computational expensive, and the academic package is limited. In the link below have some validation cases and in the second link have the classical case of turbulent flow around NACA0012.

https://turbmodels.larc.nasa.gov/

https://turbmodels.larc.nasa.gov/naca0012_val.html

I hope I have helped and complemented the answer of dear friend Kremella.

Regards,

Mantovani. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.