3D Design

3D Design

Modeling a fan inside a box

• jfonseca662
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have a box that can be cooled with an embedded fan. I have the fan characteristic curve (dPvsAirflow) and it is not my intention to simulate the rotation of the blades, only the airflow caused by a given pressure drop.
      I already understood the BC relative to the calculations, but I have some doubts about how to represent the geometry of the face.

I will perform a 3D simulation of the box, with the fan in one of the faces and external air to the box. if possible, I may apply symmetry in which the axis divides the fan exactly in the middle. Should the fan be represented with only a surface? Should I give some depth to that surface? If so, I am not sure how to define this solids and the respective surfaces of the boundary conditions.

Thank you very much for any answer. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Fan is a thin surface, which must be defined at the geometry creation stage. Remember, fans cause swirl, so how would this react with a symmetry plane? 

• jfonseca662
      Subscriber

Thank you for remembering me about the swirl. That may affect a lot the flow as the box I pretend to simulate as some components inside a near the fan. 

Below is an image of what I pretend to simulate. Purple rectangles are inlets and the half circle (in the future full circle) is the outlet fan.

Being the fan a surface, it means that the box enclosure also needs to be a surface, correct?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Yes. I'd split the box out as a volume and then imprint the fan & slots (read up on interior and internal faces) for this to simplify meshing. Use Named Selections in Ansys (Workbench) Meshing. 

• jfonseca662
      Subscriber

Ok, Thank you very much

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.