General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Modeling bolted connection with SolidShell element (Solsh190)

• Hasnaoui
      Subscriber

I need to model a bolted connection with SolidShell element (Solsh190). I understood the theory behind it, but how I'd realize that with Ansys, remains a mystery to me.

The task: A square thin plate is attached to the corners with four screws on another larger plate and afterwards I want to do a modal analysis.

I don't want to have bolts in the simulation. I'm only interested in the bolted connection.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Please provide more details on the geometry and insert an image into your reply.
      A Modal analysis must have all the mass in the model, so you should not remove the bolts from the simulation unless you replace their mass with a point mass.
      A Modal analysis is a Linear analysis so you must use linear connections between the thin plate and the larger plate. You can use four Fixed Joints to connect a hole in the thin plate with a hole in the larger plate. Create a Remote Point at each hole center that you can use for the Fixed Joint and the Point Mass.
      Instead of meshing the thin plate with SOLSH190 elements, I recommend you edit the Geometry and create a midsurface and mesh the surface with shell elements.
      If you must use a SOLSH190 element, you must apply a mesh method called Sweep and set it up as shown below.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.