December 19, 2018 at 9:29 amOimpaSubscriberHello to all
I want to model a multi-layer composite with Solid185. Composite has 4 layers of different thickness and direction
1-Do I need to make a volume with the thickness of the entire layers for modeling? Or should I model each layer separately?
2- Is the SECOFFSET option like Shell281 available for solid185?
3- Do I need to define a local coordinate system for each layer?
December 20, 2018 at 5:22 amSean HarveyAnsys Employee
You just need the volume to match the total thickness, you do not need to model each layer as separate volume.
The secoffset is not valid for solid elements as the solid continium completely represents the topology, so there is no idealization like with a shell
You need to define the element coordinate system attribute esys for the volume or elements depending on how they vary. The x direction of the element coordinate system is the reference direction or the 0 direction of a layup (use the sectype and secdata commands to define the material, thickness, and angle of the plies.
Note that in a simple case the entire volume may have a constant reference direction, but in a complex part, that direction may vary from element to element, so esys is an attribute on every element. Once you define the ply angle on the secdata, keep in mind that angle is with respect to the 0 direction of the esys.
Let us know if that helps. Thank you
December 20, 2018 at 7:45 amOimpaSubscriberThank you for your reply
In the shell elements, turning on the option Display of element (/eshape), composite layers were shown in the model.
Can the layers in the model be seen in the solid Element?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- Errors – Reinforced Concrete Beam
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
- Cannot apply load on node
- Large deflection
- Colors and Mesh Display