Fluids

Fluids

modeling heat transfer considering thin wall separating two fluids

• manelaero2020
      Subscriber

Hi all, 

I am modeling the following problem (please see picture ) with Fluent. 

What do you think about what I have input (ok? no? more suggestions? ) 

• for conduction heat transfer through the thin wall,>> shell conduction model, specification of the thickness and number of layers (here 1 layer)
      • For convection heat transfer between the outer side of the wall and the cold-free stream,>> the convection model is on with the specification of heat transfer coefficient h and the temperature of the cold-free stream. 

I'm very thankful for your assistance 

Kind regards 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You only need shell conduction if you are seeing hot spots on the wall, for most applications the flow will convect heat as rapidly as conduction so it's not needed. 

Otherwise, yes, a "thin" external wall with a set thickness (you may want to change the wall material from aluminium) with external HTC and free stream temperature is usually a good approach. 

• manelaero2020
      Subscriber

Hi @Rob , 

Thank you for your response :) 

Yes, there are hot spots on the external wall due to significant hot air Temperature ( 150°C) 

I'm more sure now of the approach: shell conduction for HT through the wall and convection HT for exchanges between the external side of the wall and the cold-free stream 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Shell conduction is for ALONG the wall in the solid part. A thin wall with a thickness will handle heat passing perpendicular through the wall. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.