Fluids

Fluids

Modeling of Floating Photovoltaics

• jaevin10
      Subscriber

Good Day,

We are currently working on a FPV project, but I am assigned to design the mooring system only. I am planning to model the entire structure consisting of multiple units. Each unit will be assigned using point mass with reference axes at the middle of the whole system (see attached figure). Do I have to properly model the upper structures? I have read in some case studies that in hydrodynamic response, the only concern in the analysis is the surfaces in contact with water.

• Yu Bi
      Ansys Employee
      Hi, if you run frequency-domain analysis in Aqwa, i.e. Hydrodynamic Diffraction analysis and Hydrodynamic Frequency Statistic analysis, the upper structure is not needed. If you run time-domain analysis, it depends. For Aqwa-Drift, it is OK not to define the upper structure, as the upper structure wall will always be counted as extending straightly up from the wetted surface. For Aqwa-Naut, as it calculates the instantaneous wetted surface, it would be nice to have the upper structure but it is OK to ignore some structures that don't have much influence on the overall hydrodynamics responses.
    • jaevin10
      Subscriber
      I came across this error upon running the model on the solver. I modeled the geometry in my personal laptop (using student version) since it was more convenient for me especially on late nights, then I copied the finished geometry in my lab pc. I successfully opened the geometry model in the lab pc, but when I opened the hydrodynamic diffraction modeler this kind of warnings popped up.
      How to resolve this?
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.