General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Modelling of 3D solid & 2D shell elements

• purichmunlow
      Subscriber

I am performing a static analysis on a wing of an aircraft. A problem that I am encountering is the modelling of solid elements with shell elements.

• Rahul Kumbhar
      Ansys Employee
      You can try different settings in 'Constraint type' in Bonded contact advanced options to check wich one gives better result. Probably 'Distributed, inside pinball egion' could work best. n
    • purichmunlow
      Subscriber
      Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate it. I tried all the options that you suggested but still did not work out. Any other suggestions you could provide? Any other ways to model this?n
    • Rahul Kumbhar
      Ansys Employee
      Any reason you believe its not working? Are you just checking highest stresses in the model. There can be the other reasons for higher stress like large deflection is off, or linear material. The contact area is very close to the support. You should have very fine mesh both on solid face as well shell edge in contact.nTo check if the contact is properly working or not, you should plot the stress on the contact face. The bending stress should look symmetrical on the contact face.n
    • mzhossain2001
      Subscriber
      It is always better to apply similar dof elements at the joints. May be shell to shell or solid to solid. Other than that, If other methods are used like MPC or CE, or coupling - then you need to test your model very carefully, for ensuring the accuracy of the results. Basic FEA fundamental theories shall be applied to get the correct result. There is no shortcut to that.n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.