Fluids

Fluids

Modelling porous material

• Jai
      Subscriber
      HellonI am currently doing a project on metal foam - phase change material system. Any guide to designing a porous material in phase change material will be very appreciated. nThank you,
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nThere are no limitations on using the porous media with the solidification and melting model is Ansys Fluent. You should be able to set-up your problem without any issues. nThere is an example on how to set-up a solidification model in the Fluent tutorial on Ansys help. Please look into Chapter 21. Here is the link. Look into Fluent Tutorials.nKarthikn
    • Jai
      Subscriber
      Thank You Kremella.nCan you suggest any guide in designing heat pipe? nThank You,nJain
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Have a look at the Corey model, but you may find you need UDFs to handle the wicking effect. n
    • Jai
      Subscriber
      Thank You.nn
    • Jai
      Subscriber
      Hi,nI'm facing some problems in assigning both metal foam and pcm in a 2D model.nHow to assign two different materials in the same area and mesh it?nCan I add the function of source term for materials using function?nHow to assign interfacial heat transfer coefficient between both? nThank Younn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      The PCM is the fluid, and the metal foam is assigned as the material solid in the porous media panel. n
    • Jai
      Subscriber
      Thank you Rob, I manage to model MF-PCM model using porous media non equilibrium thermal approach in FLUENT and wickless HP using Corey Method (Eulerian Multiphase). Can you guide me on how to combine both the system together. I tried modelling both together but I cant access both melting & solidification modelling and multiphase modelling at once. Thank You.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If the porous foam remains as a solid then the fluid phase should allow the solidification/melting model. Check in the limitations to make sure you're not falling foul of one of those. n
    • Jai
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob,nI manage to model porous zone for metal foam pcm using melting/ solidification modeling and heat pipe using Eulerian Multiphase (Corey Method) in cell zone boundary separately. However when I designed the system with both Heat Pipe and Metal foam-PCM together and I couldn't choose both melting & solidification modeling and multiphase modelling at once. Please advise me on how to proceed.n Thank You,nJainn
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.