Fluids

Fluids

Monitoring cooling temperature of a cell

• ManuelSoler
      Subscriber
      Good morning,nAs part of my dissertation I am trying to simulate the cooling of the battery cells inside the accumulator through force convection in fluent. I created a casing domain and substracted the cells body from it.nI believe I am currently having issues with setting the right boudary conditions as I end with a stable temperature of free stream velocity on my wall, and then a higher temperature same as set by the cells for the cell shadow.nWhat I am looking to do is monitor how the air cools the cell which is at a certain higher temperature.nIs this possible through fluent? If so, how may I set up the right simulation?n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nAre you modeling an open domain and have inlet and outlet boundaries? nWhat boundary conditions are you using? How is the heat coming into the domain? Please share some screenshots of your issue. nKarthiknn
    • ManuelSoler
      Subscriber

Hello,Are you modeling an open domain and have inlet and outlet boundaries? What boundary conditions are you using? How is the heat coming into the domain? Please share some screenshots of your issue. Karthikhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/110849#Comment_110849

Thanks fro your reply Kremella,nI currently can't give you screenshots right now as I am away from my PC. However, in order to simplify things I have a simulation of a cylinder (which will be my cell) with a wall temperature higher than the free stream one.nI have inlet and outlet boundaries. What I want to do is monitor the temperature of the cell in contact with the fluid. I believe the issue is applying share topology when meshing, as I do not have the interface option in my boundary conditions when setting up the problem. Unfortunately I can't apply a share topology, see screenshots below:n What could be the issue? I have tried adding local sizing with the same end resultnThanks for the help n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nCould you attempt to perform the share topology operation in SpaceClaim rather than in Fluent Meshing?nIf you don't need this in your Fluent solver, you should be able to split the wall - wall-shadow zones into two disconnected face-zones later using a TUI command.nKarthikn
    • ManuelSoler
      Subscriber

Hello,Could you attempt to perform the share topology operation in SpaceClaim rather than in Fluent Meshing?If you don't need this in your Fluent solver, you should be able to split the wall - wall-shadow zones into two disconnected face-zones later using a TUI command.Karthikhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/111178#Comment_111178

Thanks for your reply,nUnfortunatey my cylinder is still considered as an internal region, even after sharing topology through spaceclaim. I have tried setting it as a dead region, but I need two walls from my understanding (one to set as an interface) so I don't think it is the way to go.nI tried using the TUI and set my shadow and normal wall to interfaces. I still couldn't get the results I was looking for as I don't get that temperature distriution on my enclosure linked wall.nAre there any good resurces that explain this? I have been trying different tutorial videos and I cannot get them to work with a simple geometry as a cylinder is n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      How are you defining the heat input into the model? Try labelling the cell as solid_cell and the surrounding as fluid and see how it behaves. Not sure why you want/need an interface. n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hi,nJust to add to 's comments: you could also create a named selection in SpaceClaim and mark your Fluid and Solid regions explicitly. This might force Fluent meshing to read these regions correctly. And, please ensure that share topology is performed in SpaceClaim.nKarthikn
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.