December 14, 2022 at 6:40 pm
December 19, 2022 at 9:19 pmcamhAnsys Employee
HFSS won't inmediately take over all the memory you've allowed it to use. Rather, the memory you specified in the HPC settings will be used a maximum limit that the combined usage accross the threads can grow to. The usage you'll see is dynamic and will change depending on what solution step each process is working on at the time. In general the processes won't necessarily use the same amount of memory, though it is likely similar.
The limit you specify in the HPC settings coes into play when the sum of the memory you're using is about to exced the set-limit. in that case HFSS will throw an error indicating that it is out of memory.
I hope this answers your question.
January 3, 2023 at 7:05 pm
January 3, 2023 at 8:24 pmcamhAnsys Employee
I'm sorry if I didn't explain it clearly in the previous response. If HFSS doesn't need the 90% RAM, it won't use 90% of your RAM.
January 3, 2023 at 8:57 pmjoanna peridoSubscriber
I find it strange then that HFSS isn't using more memory for larger simulations then. I have a simulation that was taking over a week to run and it was not using more memory to solve. It was using the amount in the first image I sent you.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- simulation completed with execution error on server
- Signing up as ANSYS Support Coordinator
- How to export Ansys Maxwell simulation results for post-processing in matlab or in .csv file
- Maxwell, HFSS or Q3D?
- Unable to assign correctly the excitations in a coil
- Running ANSYS HFSS on the HPC (it runs on Linux only)
- Running ANSYS HFSS on multiple nodes on SLURM based cluster
- Intersect errors with model with complex structure
- Number of parallel paths in Ansys Maxwell
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.