Electronics

Electronics

More memory for HFSS simulations

Tagged: ,

• joanna perido
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am not sure I am setting up HFSS to properly use all of my machine's memory to run simulations. I followed the instruction to use all cores on HPC options but it doesn't seem to be using all the memory. CPU’s max’d, but very little RAM in use.

Thanks,
      Joanna

• camh
      Ansys Employee

Hello Joanna,

HFSS won't inmediately take over all the memory you've allowed it to use.  Rather, the memory you specified in the HPC settings will be used a maximum limit that the combined usage accross the threads can grow to.  The usage you'll see is dynamic and will change depending on what solution step each process is working on at the time.  In general the processes won't necessarily use the same amount of memory, though it is likely similar. 

The limit you specify in the HPC settings coes into play when the sum of the memory you're using is about to exced the set-limit.  in that case HFSS will throw an error indicating that it is out of memory. 

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Carlos.

• joanna perido
      Subscriber

Hi Carlos,

I already had set the HPC settings to use all cores and the RAM limit to 90% yet it still looks like HFSS is only using a small amount of memory from our machine. Is this how it works? Is there a way to meet through Zoom to discuss this faster?

Thanks, 

Joanna

• camh
      Ansys Employee

Hello Joanna,

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it clearly in the previous response.  If HFSS doesn't need the 90% RAM, it won't use 90% of your RAM.

Regards, Carlos.

• joanna perido
        Subscriber

Hi Carlos,

I find it strange then that HFSS isn't using more memory for larger simulations then. I have a simulation that was taking over a week to run and it was not using more memory to solve. It was using the amount in the first image I sent you.

Thanks, 

Joanna

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.