Electronics

Electronics

Moving Reference Frame approach to fan modeling in ICEPAK

• Snow1Runner
      Subscriber
      Hi everyone, nI've been following tutorial #31 in the tutorial help page for ICEPAK and I wanted to ask a couple of questions: nFor those curious about the tutorial, seems like these guys used the tutorial in the Icepak help page to inspire their fan modeling: https://skill-lync.com/projects/mrf-project-2nWhen defining the convention for fan rotation, is the fluid block created around the fan blades rotating the same direction the fan theoretically would be spinning? nI've gotten pretty good convergence criterion for my specific simulation and fan geometry. What would be a good set of sanity checks to make sure the fans are operating within reasonable parameters? I have the manufacturers fan static pressure characteristics (static pressure vs airflow) but I am not sure how to extract this information from the Icepak model to compare. nWhat would be the best approach to model blower/centrifugal style fans that are not aligned with the x,y or z axis? So far I've noticed that only axial fans have the ability to be rotated/spun along a certain axis. Both the black box approach within Icepak to model blower fans and the MRF approach are not capable along an axis for 20 degrees, just to put an example. (The MRF approach fails because the fluid block can't be rotated, the CAD model for the fan can be placed anywhere I want in SpaceClaim but then I can't create a fluid block to surround it within Icepak. n
    • Snow1Runner
      Subscriber
      Anyone with some input on this subject? nAll help is always extremely appreciated! n
    • Satyajeet Padhi
      Ansys Employee
      Hello, nFor more information on the MRF model, please refer to the Fluent documentation in the link below.nIf you wish to obtain pressure drop and volume flow across the fan, you could place an opening object upstream and downstream of the fan to calculate pressure and volume flow rate in post-processing. If you want to have the fan placed at an angle to the global coordinate system, then you can create the fluid block in SpaceClaim itself instead of creating it in Icepak. nFor a reference on MRF in Icepak, you could refer to the journal article below.nhttps://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10407782.2016.1277930n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.