April 17, 2023 at 5:48 pmSeyed Mohammadhossein EnjaviarsanjanSubscriber
I have a question regarding simulating a multi-mode fiber with a gold-covered core to investigate the effect of changing the refractive index of the surrounding medium on its reflectance. Since the fiber has a large core size of 400 micrometers and is multi-mode, my question has two parts:
- Which simulation module would be more efficient in this case? FDTD 3D takes an unreasonable amount of time, so can I use EME instead?
- How can I excite multiple modes of the fiber simultaneously?
Thank you for your help.
April 18, 2023 at 8:20 pmGuilin SunAnsys Employee
I believe this will depend on how much the index change is. If it can change the mode effective index on the 4 or 5th digits, you can use FDE to analyse the mode property. If the index change is small and need long section to reflect such change, 3D FDTD will be required.
Foe one specific mode, you can use symmetry BCs to reduce the simulation volume and thus increase the simulation speed: Symmetric and anti-symmetric BCs in FDTD and MODE
If it is for singlw wavelength or small wavelength range, you can use EME.
exiting more than one mode will depend on the solver you use:
EME can get S parameters with several different modes, as long as you specify the modes in the ports.
If you use FDTD and port, only one mode at a time. You may need to consider the physical meaning of multi-mode injection by use of several mode sources.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Finding your Ansys (or Lumerical) account number
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- Ansys Insight: Why my simulation result is different from published paper or experiment?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.