Photonics

Photonics

My charge simulation is not running

• ritishree
      Subscriber

I created a structure of nano rods simulated it in FDTD and generated .mat file for importing it into the charge. Now in charge whem I am trying to simulate the characteristics the simulation is not running it is stopping at 5% tesellating.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      This is normal when the structure is very long but also very narrow. The meshing algorithm tries harder to form quality tetrahedral (3d) or triangle (2d) elements. Depending on the diameter of the rod, you may need to greatly limit the max edge length, reduce the triangle quality. If the meshing fails due to reaching the number of refinement, you may also need to increase the "max refine steps".
      Poor "triangle quality" may lead to diverge.

Please try to modify those parameters.
      In addition, if possible, try to limit the length of the rod.

• ritishree
      Subscriber
      Thankyou for your reply. But the structure I created is imported from FDTD. I cannot change the structure or their lengths and I could not resolve the issue. I even tried by increasing the maximum refine steps. Please help.
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Please try:
      reduce the max edge length
      reduce the triangle quality
      Such structure is challenge for meshing. Please modify those parameters till it works.

• ritishree
      Subscriber
      Can you please help in understanding what does a conductor with no specified contact properties found.
      And a parallel error was found.
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      All metals (conductors) in CHARGE have to be assigned a voltage relative to ground, and assigned a contact with it through boundary conditions. In other words, it has to be anode or cathode. Please watch this video https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044943474-Simulation-Objects-Boundary-Conditions

• ritishree
      Subscriber
      I have already assigned anode and cathode.Now a new error is displayed again.
      Please check this image of error display. I am getting this error when opting for hybrid volume meshing. I have tried by varying the min and max mesh constraints, mesh order variation and also the preserve surface options. Also i have changed the max refined steps. Still it is not resolving. When using vertex insertion I am getting Tesselation error. Please help
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      The error message says it is "surface mesh generation" issue.
      You may need to move the cylinder a little into the substrate;
      using the preserve surfaces option can cause problems in meshing. If you uncheck this for your objects, the issue may be resolved;
      if problem still exists, please have a new post.

• ritishree
      Subscriber
      Surface meshing is done now and a new error is arising again" Failed to traverse edge fan". This I have seen the post of somebody else where they have posted the same error . The answer was to change the triangle quality and the deflection tolerance. I tried those and also meshing is completed but still the error is not resolved. Please help.
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      As you know, CHARGE uses finite element meshing. In some cases when a geometry has large aspect ratio, and the min/max edge length is quite different, the meshing can be problematic." Failed to traverse edge fan" still means the meshing parameters are not proper. Please try to modify them with different combinations.
      if problem still exists, please have a new post.
    • Mariah Ha
      Subscriber

Hello, may I please ask how did you generate a .mat file to import the FDTD structure to Charge ? 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.