Fluids

Fluids

named selection is getting entire different in fluent

• zzzzz146
      Subscriber

I have given all the named selection to all the faces

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It shouldn't as the labels are the surface identifier in Fluent. If you go to Display Mesh how does it look? Also, use - or _ in place of spaces, whilst they now work it's not a good idea. Most staff were introduced to simulation or were trained by those who were introduced back when we only had UNIX machines and it's a habit that has served us well.
    • zzzzz146
      Subscriber
      sir, I did try with _ and also - but still it's not making any difference. Is there anything like distinguishing number of characters in a string in the NAMED SELECTION. I mean like in C++, each variable is treated as different as long as their first 8 characters are different. I am asking this because the walls are names like INLET, OUTLET, 0 DEGREE WALL, 60 DEGREE WALL, TOP, BOTTOM. So these are fine, but not the aerofoil surface as all the surfaces start with the name AEROFOIL_, so the first 9 characters are the same, which might be a reason I think. But I think this should be the same for the entire fluent but that's not the case. In the second pic, u can see that the pic was taken off the fluent but still correct selection was there. the selection is changing only for the report file. So I am not quite sure what is the reason for this problem. I did try with another simpler model and it seems like all the NAMED SELECTIONS (there were like 6 of them) were in the correct position in the REPORT FILES.
      Could u please let me know what is causing this issue..........

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      The boundary labels are fine for about 32 characters, possibly more now we only support 64 bit installs, and I've seen and used much longer names than you have here.
      If you display the mesh then right click (probe) the surface with the report force panel up which surface is picked and what does the TUI show?

• zzzzz146
      Subscriber
      sir, I am not sure what u meant by REPORT FORCE PANEL UP but I have done the probe and also I have opened the report panel with the drag report definition. please see this video and let me know if I did something wrong.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      We're not permitted to open or download files. Screen shots are better.
      If you have the Force Report panel open and then right click on a surface which surface is highlighted in the list?
    • zzzzz146
      Subscriber
      sir, I checked it, it's different
      I will drop a screenshot
      I right-clicked on the highlighted surface and the data popped up at the bottom panel from PROBE POSITION till the end PARTITION = 9
      (the names of walls of the enclosure are all fine and not changed, only the names of the surface of the aerofoil have got shuffled)
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      So the surface label is different between Meshing and the Solver. Are the surface labels consistent within the solver? Ie the Boundary Conditions panel label is the same as the Report Force panel?
      If you get the surface area out of Meshing and compare with Fluent how does it tie up? I'm trying to see if it's the solver side or the graphics that's got confused.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.