Fluids

Fluids

Need Help Validating Heat Sink Data

Tagged: ,

• spacemandan
      Subscriber

Hello, I am currently working on Jet impingement flow in a heat sink application. The there is a heat flux at the bottom of the heat sink and jet impingement flow coming through the top of the heat sink enclosure. I would like to somehow validate my results but so far my search has gotten me very little progress. I have tried reading papers on experimental correlations but they mostly point towards internal flow in a square duct. I have tried looking into UDF but I am not sure where to begin.

I was hoping to compare nusselt numbers as a validation parameter. Is this the right way to go?

Below is a picture of the heat sink in question:

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hi,nThis is a very general question and therefore, I'm attempting to answer in very general terms.nPlease make sure your results are mesh independent.nPlease have sufficient inflation layers to resolve the boundary layers.nPlease make sure that your boundary conditions and material properties are consistent with the reference you are using.nPlease make sure that your simulation results are fully converged and that you obtain a steady state solution. nHere are some examples that might help you get started.nElectronics cooling using a heat sinknImpinging jet on a heated cylinder.nPlease feel free to make use of these free Ansys Innovation Courses (AIC) fluids courses to learn more about how to simulate fluid flow problems in Ansys Fluent. nI hope this helps.nThanks.nKarthikn
    • spacemandan
      Subscriber
      Hi, I appreciate what you have answered and I will take your advice and look at those videos, however, I am interested in making sure that the results of my simulation, as they are based off an aftermarket heat sink, are correct. Are there any sort of analytical correlations I can use for this?n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Unfortunately, I won't be able to answer this. Though there are papers available in literature which might have done a similar analysis. I'd strongly recommend that you look into the available literature, find a published paper, and perhaps even write to the authors.nThank you.nKarthikn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.