July 11, 2023 at 10:38 pmLoïcSSubscriber
Dear fluent users,
I have an entire model running well. Based on the reference paper, i need to mesh the model with mesh size of 10 µm which means more than 50 000 000 elements. I reduced the model to a quarter to save computational time but i have negative cell volume occuring during the simulation. I tried solutions provide on research gate for the same issue :
- try PISO method
- Timesteps less than 0.005
- reduce the relaxation energy value from 1.0 to 0.6
I'm trying to simulate a wall moving normal to a stationary wall with an amplitude ratio of 0.8 of the initial air gap (200µm)
Mesh elements are tetrahedrals, mesh size 100 µm
Dynamic mesh is set to layering and unified remeshing, cell height 20 µm
The model is laminar with air - ideal gas
Time step size = 5e-5 s
July 12, 2023 at 8:04 amC NAnsys Employee
Some times left handed faces create some negative volume cells
To overcome this problem try:
1. Reverse the order in which the surfaces are picked inside the Grid Interfaces panel while creating the non-conformal interface if there is non conformal interface
2. Try the TUI command /mesh/repair-improve/repair (with /mesh/repair-improve/repair-face-handedness yes)
3. If that doesn't work, look carefully at the two surfaces involved especially at corners and turns. Modify the mesh to make sure that the two surfaces are not passing through each other at any point.
4. finally check the dynamic mesh settings.
This should help you solve the problem.
July 12, 2023 at 9:53 pmLoïcSSubscriber
Please could you tell me how to go through those steps 1 - 3? I don't have enough experience on fluent.
July 13, 2023 at 10:54 amC NAnsys Employee
Is there any interfaces you created for the problem? If not step 1 is not required.
Executing TUI command please go to console and type the command which I have mentioned within the brackets. - step 2
Check for any issues . Then
Import it to fluent - check for any mesh overlap at the edges - this can be done going to mesh display option and zoom the object at edges woth the mesh to find out.
This is how you can perform these steps.
July 14, 2023 at 2:24 amLoïcSSubscriber
I appreciate your help. I have done following check. There are the results :
no split edges in the model
no extra edges in the model
I have also tried different dynamic settings (smoothing, layering, remeshing) individually and combinate with default setting.
I'm still having negative point cell and sometimes floating point exception. Is there other options that i can try, please?
July 28, 2023 at 10:13 amLoïcSSubscriber
Please, do you have more insights for my issues? The full model take more than 24 hours to run completely. Solving this issue of negative volume cell with the quarter model will help me to save time.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Floating point exception in Fluent
- What are the differences between CFX and Fluent?
- Heat transfer coefficient
- Difference between K-epsilon and K-omega Turbulence Model
- Getting graph and tabular data from result in workbench mechanical
- The solver failed with a non-zero exit code of : 2
- Suppress Fluent to open with GUI while performing in journal file
- Mesh Interfaces in ANSYS FLUENT
- Time Step Size and Courant Number
- error: Received signal SIGSEGV
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.