Photonics

Photonics

Negative index

• djihad-amina.djemmah
      Subscriber

Good morning,

I would like to do a simulation similar to this one (https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041616614-Bulk-metamaterials-based-on-magnetic-and-electric-Lorentz-models), to visualize the profile at different frequencies.

However I have created a table with the values of real n and imaginary n as shown in the figure below (in green Im(n), and in purple re(n)).

• djihad-amina.djemmah
      Subscriber
      I may have misspoken, that's why I didn't get an answer.
      I will rephrase my question to make it clearer.

I work in the frequency range of 200 to 600GHz, I would like to make a simulation to see how the wave propagates in a medium with a negative index and another medium where the index is close to zero.

For this, I tried to create a new material with a zone where n<0 and another zone where n is close to 0, still in the frequency range 200-600GHz.

But I did not find a way to do it.
      I wonder if there is a method I overlook to declare a material with a negative index.

Waiting for your answer.
      Thanks in advance
    • Greg Baethge
      Ansys Employee

Apologies for the delay, I haven't had a chance to look at your question until this morning. FDTD doesn't allow for materials defined with a negative index. In the case of dielectric (where material is set to "", n must be greater than 1, and in the case of (n,k) materials, n must be positive (see this page for more information).
      In the example you are referring to, we use the Magnetic Electric Lorenz material model, an advanced material model that was created using the flexible material plugin framework. You'd have to follow a similar approach to implement this type of negative index materials.
      Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.