July 13, 2021 at 11:00 amdiedrichSubscriber
Im trying to get radiative loss for WGs with a refractive index distribution that I define via a n-k-material model.
For the n-k-material model I can only define the real part of the refractive index. I use PML-boundaries.
For some reason the second mode has a negative loss, no matter which simulation parameters (mesh-grading, simulation area) I choose.July 13, 2021 at 2:50 pmGuilin SunAnsys EmployeeSince your material is lossless, this negative imaginary part is due to numerical calculation error, which is already very small, 13 orders smaller than the real part. You can ignore it. Or you can use Metal BCs. When PML is used, and the material has no loss, the calculated beta and thus effective index will always have imaginary part, which can be positive or negative, from numerical errors.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
Top Rated Tags
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.