Fluids

Fluids

Nondimensionalization and buoyancy

• nathan cadot
      Subscriber

Hi. I am facing a little problem trying to solve some CF problems involving the sea state equation and nondimensionalization.

In my system, I have salt (modelled by a user-defined scalar) and this salt as well as the temperature influence the density locally. I succeeded at doing this modelisation very well by putting my state equation in the density with a UDF.

Now, I want to nondimensionalization the equation, so putting the density as well as most other parameters at 1. But this doing, I don't see how I can put the effect of the salt and temperature on buoyancy. In my equations (theoretically), I put some volume forces depending on S,T and the Rayleigh number but I can't figure out how to add those forces in Ansys Fluent.

How could I resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

Here are the equations (theoretical) I would want to have resolved in fluent. Ux is the derivative of the velocity, Ra is the rayleigh number and the forces I want to add Ras(S-1)+Rat(T-1).

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You have access to source terms (cell zone panel) or if the domain isn't sealed just alter the fluid density. Why do you need to non-dimensionalise? The whole point of CFD is that you can do everything without needing to mess with material properties etc. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.