Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Number Problem Size Limit

• gwilso
      Subscriber

Hey, 

So I'm a student and under normal circumstances have access to a fully licensed version of the software at university. However, these aren't normal circumstances and I'm having to use the student version of Ansys from home. My issue is the size limit, I've already halved the model and this has allowed me to put a 20mm mesh on the model. I would like to get a more accurate mesh on the model. I've attached the model and any help would be appreciated. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Staff aren't permitted to open/download attachments so I can't see the image. 

Can you further reduce the domain size? Alternatively, do you have VPN access to the Uni machines? 

• gwilso
      Subscriber

I would usually use external software to create and then import the geometry like CREO/Solidworks etc. However, they are also not available to me. So I'm wrestling with unfamiliar commands in design modeller. How would I go about reducing the domain?

And unfortunately no, I don't have VPN access, that would be a reasonable solution but alas, no.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

please try spaceclaim. it is very easy to use. 

you would find many videos on splaceclaim on youtube. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• gwilso
      Subscriber

@KKanade,

Without meaning to sound negative that's a lie, SpaceClaim is awful. I have a perfectly fine model attached made in design modeller, what advantage will I gain from remaking it in the god awful SpaceClaim? Also, the first reply suggested reducing the Domain, I have replied asking how would I go about reducing the domain? So how would I go about reducing the domain? I'd prefer if the answer didn't involve remaking the model in SpaceClaim. 

I can only apologise for the tone of this response but that wasn't helpful. I do appreciate you taking the time to help and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

In DM you can use planes and surfaces to slice the model. Depending on the shape (I still am not allowed to download the image) you may be able to model 1/6 of the domain or similar. 

• gwilso
      Subscriber

There's a boss at the end of the geometry preventing any further lines of symmetry. It's for a six sigma and optimisation coursework. I've attached some images in the hope that you will be able to at least have a better idea of the geometry. Again I appreciate the help, otherwise, the report will be written without a model to work on which sounds horrendous to me.

Iso view

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

While posting question, please make sure that you insert images and describe the issue correctly. As ANSYS Staff, we can not download attachments. 

Without looking at images and not having information about problem, it is difficult to advice. 

As you have posted images now, it is clear that you can not reduce the geometry domain further. 

Now to reduce mesh size, the best potion is to use hex mesh. Again generating full hex mesh in this geometry would be difficult. But you can slice the model and get hex mesh in part of the model and rest can be meshed with tet mesh. 

For slicing model in SpaceClaim look at 

If you still want to use DM, you can have a look at  

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• gwilso
      Subscriber

I'll bear that in mind in future, thanks for your help, I'll see how it goes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.