Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Numerical limits issues for composite parts

• whitenovacaws
      Subscriber

Hi there!

I am currently trying to perform a static structural analysis on a composite component, however I keep exceeding numerical limits. 

I am using the Academic Teaching licence on version 19.1 . 

When I mesh the part, I get around 100,000 of both nodes and elements individually. I have used the shared topology setting, however this doesn't seem to have made a huge difference to the node and element count. 

After applying a composite stackup of 4 fabrics to the model, I see both the number of nodes and elements increase to around 500,000!! As I understand, the maximum number of nodes/elements available in the Academic teaching licence is only 256,000.  

1. Is the licence limit for the nodes and elements of the initial mesh, or for the solid model of the composite stackup?

2. Is there another way of reducing the node and element count whilst maintaining the current design? 

I can attach the ansys project or photos of the component if it helps!

Many thanks

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

1. I believe it is for the final mesh. You can try to run the model, and you should get the error indicating the limit.

2. Please attach your images inline so it will reach a wider audience. Please note Ansys employees can not download any attachments from the student community, but, other members of the community can check it out.

-Aniket

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• whitenovacaws
      Subscriber

Hi Aniket,

Thanks for the reply, I have attached a few images below. 

The first shows the whole component.

The second is a closer look at the outer edge profile of the component.

The third shows a cross section of the composite stackup. 

It is clear that I can reduce the number of nodes/elements by reducing the complexity (number of layers) of the composite stackup. Alternatively, I can simplify the outer edge shape such that larger elements can used - as the mesh is very dense here. However I would like to avoid these solutions if possible to maintain model accuracy and customisability. That said, I am far beyond the maximum node/element count, and need a method to bring it down!!

Many thanks

Edge ProfileMeshing of the composite stackup

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

I would recommend simplifying the geometry a bit and use a hard sizing on the faces to coarsen the mesh. You can also see if you can disable adaptive sizing to avoid excessive refinement due to curvature.

-Aniket

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.