General Mechanical

General Mechanical

open channel flow with breakwater

• Shafaq
      Subscriber

Hi, I'm having trouble with Ansys Fluent. I have modelled a breakwater in an open channel flow. However the breakwater is not stopping the wave. I have attached a picture to show the problem 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Build a bigger breakwater?

• Shafaq
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried that, is there anything else I can try ?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

How have you created the blockage? I ask as the free surface looks to ignore it, and as it ought to be a void (no mesh), that doesn't make sense. 

• Shafaq
      Subscriber

Hi yes, I have created the blockage, Do you know why the free surface is ignoring it ? 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Yes.

Please read up on Boolean Subtract. In isothermal models you only tend to model the fluid bit, you've got overlapping mesh and the box isn't doing anything other than confusing the results. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

It might be that the blockage is ignored as you are initializing with the wave. Carry out the run and tell us what you are seeing.

• Shafaq
      Subscriber

Do you think its a problem initializing with the wave as it's not considering the blockage?

I'm unable to simulate the wave by creating a moving wall at the end of the tank as I've had complications with UDF  and I'm also using a university computer.

I've attached a picture after the run below 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Looking at that result, the wave has gone over the blockage and you need to check the back flow on the outlet to make sure the water can leave. The water-air interface also looks diffuse so you may also need to refine the mesh in that area. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.