Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Operation will result in non-manifold bodies after trying to create boolean

• Danc08
      Subscriber

I am getting the following error :" Operation will result in non-manifold bodies " after I try to subtract my geometry using boolean. I am currently using a .iges file which could be the problem, since when I open it some bodies are categorized as surfaces and others as solids. I tried creating a solid using a body operation but it was unsuccessful. Please help.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It's a problem with the CAD shapes/overlaps. Have a look on here or Google for an explanation of what the error means.
    • Danc08
      Subscriber
      I have already tried looking here and google. What I found was that since some bodies were imported as solids and others as surfaces, the surfaces did not have a definite volume within the boolean, so I tried creating a body operation to make the surfaces solids, but I also got an error there and I was not able to do that. Could you please provide me with some more specific solution?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It means that some of the bodies contact with a zero area or create volumes which have no volume. The surface contact is often two circles (annular faces) that touch at a single tangential edge. Because they're bodies that touch the contact is surface but the area is zero. The solution is to identify these regions and fix them.
    • Danc08
      Subscriber
      Is there a specific tool that can help me identigy this zero area point of contacts?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Small edges can do, but otherwise it's a case of looking at the model to see what's going on.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.