Photonics

Photonics

Optical generation rate geometry specification problem

• Mariah Ha
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to specify an optical generation rate in 2D FDTD. I specified its geometry to be 2D as shown in the first picture. But when I import it in a the 2D Charge solver (same structure) to perform the electrical simulation, the solver automatically adds a third axe in the optical generation geometry, and does not allow me to modify the span of the third axe to be 0 (see second picture) , to keep it exactly as the 2D FDTD geometry. The span is blocked in grey color and cannot be modified. Can someone explain why is this happening ? Why does it modify the optical rate geometry to be 3D ?

• Khashayar Ghaffari
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Thank you for your question. This is the expected behavior for the exported data; the 2D data set will have 2 points in the third direction (instead of 1). This will not interfere with the data and the 2D profile will be applied correctly as long as the defined box includes your 2D charge simulation region. To check this you can switch the CHARGE simulation to partition mode and click on the imported data.
      Best regards
    • Mariah Ha
      Subscriber
      Thank you for the clear answer. For 1D case is it the same ? I mean the generation rate which is defined in 1D FDTD , will it be automatically 2D when imported in charge solver ?
    • Khashayar Ghaffari
      Ansys Employee
      No problem. No, if you want to import the data for a 2D CHARGE simulation, it has to be set up to have a 2D profile. If you want to run a 1D FDTD simulation anyway (assuming uniformity for the profile), a workaround is to copy the 1D data across the second axis to create a uniform 2D profile. For this you would need to post process the data through scripting.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.