General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Orthotropic Elasticity

• dayahsaidon5566
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I need help on understanding the orthotropic elasticity. Is it necessary to insert different value of young modulus in the analysis?

Orthotropic elasticity

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi, It is not necessary and maybe I don't quite understand your question completely but, what's the point of using Orthotropic Elasticity if you are not modeling Orthotropic Behavior? You might as well use Isotropic Elasticity, that would mean the same thing?

Please take a moment to look at this section from the help.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• dayahsaidon5566
      Subscriber

Hi,

Before this I'm using the isotropic elasticity in my modal analysis but I'm facing a problem on tuning in the simulation to actual parts (frequency and deflection modes). And after some researched and discussion, it shows that copper is highly anisotropic and it is recommended to use orthotropic elasticity.

Now, I'm facing a problem on deciding the orientation of the copper.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Aren't these the miller indices for crystal lattices? How is the paper calculating these? Is it experimental?

Since you are dealing with macroscale properties based on continuum mechanics in FEA, why not average out (columns) each of these planes, i.e., (abc) Orientations 1 to 11 and use those as the orthotropic properties for your material?

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Guidelines to Student Community

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.