General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Parametric Study – Automatically creating design points

• krall91
      Subscriber

Hello Ansys community,

I would like to know if it's possible to manually create design points for a parametric study, then:

In a loop, read the results of the manual design points, then utilize these results to create new design points? I want to apply a genetic algorithm, but I need to do it on the workbench level, as every parameter needs to run ACP-pre module for every design point.

Any help or nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

Best regards.

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

Not sure exactly what you want to do, but

Perhaps it might be possible to use workbench/act scripting to do something what you want.

All the best

Erik

• bhagwantP
      Ansys Employee
      Hello krall91, I think your description is still bit unclear. Will you please elaborate it more? Yes, As stated by Erik, it may be possible with workbench/act scripting. Thanks
    • krall91
      Subscriber

Dear Erik & bhagwantP, thank you for your responses. As Eric suggested, I dabbled a bit in ansys workbench scripting.

In a loop, I can read the output of a design point, then automatically generate new design points, solve them, make new design points from the solutions etc. However, I have a couple minor inconveniences:

At the moment I can read data from only the current design point with this:

output = Parameters.GetParameter(Name="PX").Value.Value

with PX being whatever number my output parameter is. But this only works on the "current design point" where I set the current point with:

Parameters.SetBaseDesignPoint(DesignPoint=designPointX)

with designPointX being whatever design point I wish to read. I was wondering if it was possible to read the values of a design point by just entering the name of the design point, as you can do when you are writing the design points with something like:

designPointX.SetParameterExpression(Parameter=Parameters.GetParameter(Name="PY"), Expression="Z")?

since reading a design point value is not an action, I could not record it in the record journal to decipher it somehow.

And finally, when I run my loops, I get a frozen screen where nothing happens, and after a little while all the datapoints appear as solved. Is there a way for a script -during execution- to show these intermediate steps like design points with inputs shown but outputs are yet to be calculated?

I currently update my design points simply by the function UpdateAllDesignPoints().

Thank you for your time and follow-up.

Best regards.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.