General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Parametric Study, defining Parameter values

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

i am doing parametric study. The parameter is the position of the weld (in green) from left end of seat( in blue). The weld length( 2.5 inches) remains constant.

When the left end of the weld( in green) is  placed toward left, the parameter value is zero. 

The second value as shown in the table is (- 0.5), and this corresponds the weld position as depicted in the picture.

The third value as shown in the table is (1.0), and this corresponds  to the  end of weld segment being at one inch from end.

1. Why do i have to use (-0.5) then positive values to move the weld segment to the right? is it because the positive "z" is toward the left?

2. Can i change the direction of the positive "z"?

3. Does the (-0.5) give Ansys a sense of direction? The other values 1 and 1.5 are positive values so  the weld can move toward right

4. Not sure why i have to use negative and positive values for the weld segment to move to the right.

Regards,

Sam 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please show how the weld parameters were created in SpaceClaim.

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Please see attached file!

Thanks,

Sam

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

I thought i attached it. Let me try one more time.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Sam,

Ruler dimensions are only positive. You have a Ruler Dimension along a specific direction between a point and the anchor of the coordinate system. Unfortunately, you have chosen zero as one of the positions you wanted to move this weld. 

Don't do that. Move the anchor of the coordinate system to the other end of the weld, which you know is 2.5" long, so that the "zero" position has a Ruler Dimension of 2.5 and the parameter set is 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5"

You can type in a negative number to move the ruler dimension to the other side of zero, but the dimension immediately becomes positive again, just on the other side of zero.  If you want to move the dimension back again, you again use a negative number. Stay away from zero for Ruler Dimensions, make sure the smallest parameter setting is a nonzero positive number.

Regards,
      Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thank you so much Peter!

so if i were to keep what i have, i could use 0.001 instead 0 and that should be fine. Correct?

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thank you so much Peter!

so if i were to keep what i have, i could use 0.001 instead 0 and that should be fine. Correct?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The new "zero" where the weld lines up with the dot is now a 2.5 on the Ruler.

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Yes that's in the file you fixed. But if i were to fix the model that i had before i sent it to you, can i use 0.001(instead of zero),0.5,1,1.5?

Thanks,

Sam 

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Yes that's in the file you fixed. But if i were to fix the model that i had before i sent it to you, can i use 0.001(instead of zero),0.5,1,1.5?

Thanks,

Sam 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.