Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Patch confirming tetrahedron mesh failed due to edge intersection

• shivam321998
      Subscriber

I'm having issue with the mesh generation, mesher says that patch confirming tetrahedron mesh failed due to edge intersection. It shows the problematic geometry at points where a cylinder is attached to the corrugated sheet. BTW the meshing happens when I suppress the fluid domain (box)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

How does the gap size compare with the minimum cell size?

• shivam321998
      Subscriber
      I've tried .1mm to.5mm as min size. The corrugated sheet and cylinder are different bodies. The method of attachment is surface contact between both.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

Surface contact, but there's a volume between those faces? 

• shivam321998
      Subscriber
      I mean to say that the cylinder is attached face to face with that volume which is a part of the corrugated sheet
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

If you have created a multibody part can you check if you have contact regions, and if so whether they're correct. Contact detection is based on model dimensions, so 1m long parts with 0.1mm gaps can give a false contact and this can mess up the meshing. 

• shivam321998
      Subscriber
      In designmodeler I put all the bodies in one by creating a part so contacts don't get created. Meanwhile, I've tried meshing without putting all the bodies in one part, the meshing went fine but I got divergence error in fluent due to energy
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

Can you check with the multibdy part that contacts aren't generated anyway: given the model aspect ratio it's possible you've got some. 

• shivam321998
      Subscriber
      I checked the number of parts in mesher and they're 3 as they should be visually. Anyway, I'm thinking of taking another approach i.e create manual contact between the common faces of sheet and cylinder and then meshing them by multizone method. I know that there wouldn't be a conformal meshing b/w two bodies, so what would be the problems with the result.
    • soto6942
      Subscriber

hello, can you generate a good mesh for the wavy figure ?, since I'm looking for help on the same topic

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.