Fluids

Fluids

patching/reading average values and keeping them fixed

• l_koers
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm trying to model the flow of water droplets in a section of air-ducting. My idea was to firstly obtain the time average values for the velocities, export that to a data file, read that file in another case and keeping those values fixed, run some transient cases with DPM, each with different droplet sizes.

I'm aware of the 'data sampling for time statistics'-capabilities in Fluent 2021R1, but I can't figure out how to save those to a file that can be read by Fluent in another case. Is that possible?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I'd just run the whole lot steady state and then put particle tracks onto that. Not sure why you'd need the transient solver?
    • l_koers
      Subscriber
      Because the steady case does not converge enough, continuity converges to 1e-2.
      I suppose I could still work with that, but is it possible to save the average results in a Fluent compatible data-format?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Have a very careful look to see what's going on. You need to check the mass fluxes and solver monitors. Transient calculations are computationally expensive, so you want to be sure you need to do them. The time averaged data is for post processing. It's technically possible to mess with the solver sufficiently to get that back into Fluent, but it's way beyond what I'm allowed to cover on an open forum.
      Do the checks to see if you need the averaged data. If you don't you've saved a whole load of work.

• l_koers
      Subscriber
      Thank you Rob!
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.